January 10, 2019
This gambling company has a strong presence in the European betting market and is one of the fastest growing tech companies in the region, with expansion plans into other European geographies. The organization has a strong digital transformation strategy; prioritizing new and emerging technologies to ensure it remains at the forefront of digital innovation while maintaining its commitment to responsible gambling.
With ThreatMetrix, this gambling company has:
- Become predominantly proactive, rather than reactive, in dealing with fraud.
- Become know as a responsible and compliant gambling operator, building a strong reputation with regulators and further bolstering its CSR strategy.
- Significantly reduced fraud losses associated with bonus abuse, collusive play and fraudulent payments.
We have 100% success rate in disputes with regulators because intelligence from ThreatMetrix makes these cases clear cut.
With the emergence of new and evolving technologies – live/in-play betting, mobile gaming and online casinos – the gaming and gambling industry continues to be a hotbed for fraud.
This gambling company was no exception and was being targeted by cybercriminals looking to capitalize on multiple new account bonuses, engage in collusive play or attempt to monetize stolen credentials. This gambling company’s existing solution was not able to detect instances of multiple account sign-up if a user wiped cookies, or effectively identify the use of stolen identities and credit cards.
We chose ThreatMetrix because of the ability to separate the Smart ID from the Exact ID. If a user wipes his cookies, maybe the Exact ID will change, but the Smart ID will remain the same. This capability was not o ered by other companies.
This gambling company needed a solution that could effectively isolate this fraudulent behavior in real time, with the ability to block suspicious transactions or shut down accounts from known fraudsters. It needed to switch from dealing with this behavior reactively to proactively in order to reduce fraud losses.
The onboarding process with ThreatMetrix went very, very smoothly. We started monitoring new account registrations, payments, and logins, and saw a huge increase in the success of bonus abuse investigations.
The Power of Global Shared Intelligence to Detect High-risk Events in Real Time
The best way to tackle complex, global cybercrime is using the power of a global shared network. The ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network collects and processes global shared intelligence from millions of daily consumer interactions including logins, payments, and new account applications. Using this information, ThreatMetrix creates a unique digital identity for each user by analyzing the myriad connections between devices, locations, and anonymized personal information. Behavior that deviates from this trusted digital identity can be accurately identified in real time, alerting This gambling company to potential fraud. Suspicious behavior can be detected and flagged for review, step-up authentication or rejection before a transaction is processed, creating a frictionless experience for trusted users.
Using ThreatMetrix intelligence we’re also able to identify accounts using fake/stolen credit cards. We can now see more accurately if a device that was previously associated with chargebacks.
Key Features of the ThreatMetrix / This Gambling Company Partnership
- ThreatMetrix Smart ID identifies returning users that wipe cookies, use private browsing, and change other parameters to bypass device fingerprinting. This improves returning user detection and reduces false positives. Derived from the analysis of many browsers, plug- in, and TCP/IP connection attributes, Smart ID generates a confidence score that detects multiple fraudulent account registrations or log in attempts.
- Deep connection analysis technologies give this gambling company a clearer view of suspicious events. Fraudsters often attempt to hide behind location and identity cloaking services such as hidden proxies, VPNs and the TOR browser. With Proxy piercing technology, ThreatMetrix examines TCP/IP packet header information to expose both the Proxy IP address and True IP address. These techniques help the gambling company gain detailed network level signals for more accurate decision making.
- ThreatMetrix offers a powerful yet easily customizable Policy Engine that allows this gambling company to incorporate their own processes and tolerance for risk.