July 16, 2019
Dynamic Digital Identity Intelligence from ThreatMetrix helps accurately differentiate legitimate customers from fraudsters in real time.
Although this global entertainment company has many verticals, it was especially concerned with protecting its ticketing vertical due to the ability of fraudsters to quickly monetize online ticket purchases made using stolen credentials. The company needed to be able to detect and block ticketing fraud in real time without creating friction for legitimate customers.
With ThreatMetrix, it can:
- Leverage the largest repository of global shared digital identity intelligence to accurately recognize the same returning user behind multiple devices, email addresses, physical addresses and account names
- Reduce time and money spent conducting manual reviews
- Scale their fraud solution with ease as their exposure to risk increases through additional
or expanded verticals
- Preserve brand reputation
Digital goods are growing in popularity and are more widely accepted today than they were 10 years ago. The convenience, lack of shipping costs, and instant gratification of digital goods have not only attracted consumers, but also fraudsters seeking to exploit the bene ts that digital goods maintain over their tangible counterparts.
Prior to implementing ThreatMetrix, this global entertainment company relied on an internal solution for fraud detection. However, as the company expanded through digital verticals, it became more susceptible to fraudsters and quickly discovered that its existing fraud solution offered little protection from today’s complex and evolving cyberattacks. Fraudsters had become aware of the deficiencies in the current solution and had been able to evade detection for some time, eventually costing the company $1M in fraud losses.
The company needed a holistic, layered approach that effectively enabled them to detect, block, and indict fraudsters using stolen identity credentials to make online ticket purchases.
Leveraging ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Intelligence, this global entertainment company can accurately differentiate legitimate customers from fraudsters attempting to monetize stolen identity credentials in real time without creating friction for trusted users.
The Power of Global Shared Intelligence to Detect High-risk Events in Real Time
The best way to tackle complex, global cybercrime is using the power of a global shared network. The ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network collects and processes global shared intelligence from millions of daily consumer interactions including logins, payments, and new account applications. Using this information, ThreatMetrix creates a unique digital identity for each user by analyzing the myriad connections between devices, locations, and anonymized personal information. Behavior that deviates from this trusted digital identity can be accurately identified in real time, alerting
the global entertainment company to potential fraud. Suspicious behavior can be detected and flagged for review, step-up authentication or rejection before a transaction is processed, creating a frictionless experience for trusted users.
Key Features of the ThreatMetrix Solution
The best way to tackle complex, global cybercrime is using the power of a global shared network. The ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network collects and processes global shared intelligence from millions of daily consumer interactions including:
- ThreatMetrix Smart ID identifies returning users that wipe cookies, use private browsing, and change other parameters to bypass device fingerprinting. This improves returning user detection and reduces false positives. Derived from the analysis of many browsers, plug-in, and TCP/IP connection attributes, Smart ID generates a confidence score that detects multiple fraudulent account registrations or log in attempts.
- Deep connection analysis technologies give the global entertainment company a clearer view of suspicious events. Fraudsters often attempt to hide behind location and identity cloaking services such as hidden proxies, VPNs and the TOR browser. With Proxy piercing technology, ThreatMetrix examines TCP / IP packet header information to expose both the Proxy IP address and True IP address. These techniques help the company gain detailed network level signals for more accurate decision making.
- Trust Tags enable the company to differentiate between fraudsters and legitimate users. Trust can be associated dynamically with any combination of online attributes such as devices, email addresses, card numbers or any other attributes involved in accepting, rejecting or reviewing a transaction.
- ThreatMetrix ID bridges online and o ine data elements for each transacting user and goes beyond device-based analysis, grouping various other entities based on complex associations formed between events, consistently identifying a person irrespective of changes in devices, locations or behavior.
The best way to tackle complex, organized cybercrime is using the power of a global shared network. The ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network collects and processes shared intelligence from millions of daily consumer interactions worldwide, including logins, payments and new account applications.