September 22, 2017
September 19, 2017
September 18, 2017
Posted January 23, 2013
Offers Tips for Consumers to Protect Their Online Identities and Avoid Attacks
San Jose, CA – January 23, 2013 – ThreatMetrix™, the fastest-growing provider of integrated cybercrime prevention solutions, today announced that it has signed on as a Data Privacy Day Champion, supporting the ideal that individuals, organizations, business and government all share the responsibility to be aware of data privacy challenges. Coordinated and led by the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA), Data Privacy Day is held each year on January 28 to raise international awareness and empower people to better protect their privacy.
ThreatMetrix places high importance on data privacy and is unique in its ability to prevent cybercrime and fraud from new and returning devices based on anonymous data, rather than relying on personally identifiable information (PII). This anonymous data is then matched in real-time against a global collection of previously profiled devices and transactions in order to protect sensitive personal and financial information.
“PII is no longer an effective way to monitor transactions for fraud and cybercrime, as this information can easily be exploited by cybercriminals to steal consumers’ online identities,” said Reed Taussig, president and CEO, ThreatMetrix. “Given the sophistication of today’s cybercriminals, implementing a layered approach with device identification and malware protection is a much more effective way to protect consumers online.”
While most organizations and businesses have cybersecurity measures in place, ThreatMetrix encourages consumers to take responsibility for their online identities. Here are five tips to stay protected online:
• Create a unique password for each online account – Using one password for all online accounts opens the door to cybercriminals – even if only one account is breached.
• Take stock of your online identity – Know where any personal information is stored online and how the information is protected.
• Keep security software up-to-date – Stay one step ahead of cybercriminals by updating security solutions and software as soon as updates are available.
• Add a password to mobile devices – If your phone is lost or stolen, a unique password protects any accounts stored on the device from being accessed by criminals.
• Avoid suspicious links – Clicking on suspicious links can instantly infect your devices, and reveal personal and financial information to cybercriminals.
For more information about Data Privacy Day, visit http://www.staysafeonline.org/data-privacy-day/.
ThreatMetrix®, The Digital Identity Company®, is the market-leading cloud solution for authenticating digital personas and transactions on the Internet. Verifying more than 20 billion annual transactions supporting 30,000 websites and 4,000 customers globally through the ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network®, ThreatMetrix secures businesses and end users against account takeover, payment fraud and fraudulent account registrations resulting from malware and data breaches. Key benefits include an improved customer experience, reduced friction, revenue gain and lower fraud and operational costs. The ThreatMetrix solution is deployed across a variety of industries, including financial services, e-commerce, payments and lending, media, government and insurance.
Walker Sands Communications