- San Jose Sharks Welcome ThreatMetrix As the Team’s Newest Corporate Partner
- ThreatMetrix Selects Verne Global to Expand Data Center Footprint
- Digital Identity Summit 2017: Brian Krebs Named as Keynote as Call for Speakers and Award Nominations Open
- Top 5 Reasons to Vote ThreatMetrix for the MRC People’s Choice Technology Award!
- Organized Fraud Rings Target Online Lenders and Emerging Financial Services, Reveals New ThreatMetrix Report
A former Wall Street securities analyst, Mary Meeker is a partner at the venture capital firm, Kleiner Perkins. Her primary area of expertise is on the Internet and new technologies. Each year she compiles a comprehensive state-of-the-state of the Internet study tracking online trends.
Drawn from “Mary Meeker’s KPCB Internet Trends 2014,” here are trends that hit home with anyone charged with online security:
Mobile is moving fast:
- With video driving it, mobile data traffic is up 81 percent.
- Mobile usage is 25 percent of total web usage. That’s a 14 percent increase year-on-year.
Now add threats:
- The number of active threat groups has risen to 300 (more than 4 times as many as 2011).
- Over 95 percent of networks have been compromised in some way.
- More and more nation states are actively involved in cyberthreats.
It’s possible to conclude that mobile will be under attack more than ever. In fact, “Trends 2014” notes that as mobile platforms grow there will be more attacks. Want to get a handle on all Meeker’s numbers and predictions, go to this link.