March 27, 2019
ThreatMetrix Dynamic Digital Identity Intelligence Differentiates Fair Punters from Unwanted Fraudsters in Real Time
This gambling company has a reputation as one of the most trusted brands in the industry. The brand has a strong ethos of upholding fair play practices, relying on detecting and blocking behavior that jeopardizes company reputation or the enjoyment of its many trusted customers. It offers sports betting products online, by telephone and on mobile devices, which now account for a high percentage of overall transactions.
With ThreatMetrix, it can:
- Provide a better online service to its large base of trusted, returning customers.
- Maintain a fair-play environment for all gamblers.
- Identify and block problem returning punters in real time to reduce unfair and fraudulent play.
- Access a huge repository of global shared intelligence from the ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network to better differentiate between good and bad gamblers.
As online gambling grows in popularity and prevalence, it continues to attract a larger and more committed group of players. The vast majority of these are good, responsible gamblers who enjoy a regular utter. However, the industry also attracts its fair share of punters who are looking to game the system, either through small time bonus abuse or fixed odds betting, through to large- scale fraudulent syndicates involved in match fixing and insider fraud.
At times, this kind of play can be compounded by the availability of new and evolving technologies that provide problem players with the cloak of anonymity to help them go undetected, hiding beneath stolen identities, spoofed devices and VPNs.
The company was looking for a solution that could help it identify and block problem players, whether they were first-timers, or those who were consistently reoffending, perhaps under the guise of a new identity.
With intelligence from ThreatMetrix we can identify the return of problem players in real time, blocking their transactions before they are processed. This may be players involved in unfair or fraudulent betting practices, or punters from regions where online gambling is illegal.
—Fraud Risk Manager
The Power of Digital Identity Intelligence to Detect High-risk Events in Real Time
The company harnessed intelligence from the ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network to better identify problem gamblers before they placed a bet. The ThreatMetrix Digital Identity Network crowdsources intelligence from millions of daily consumer interactions including logins, payments, and new account applications across thousands of global businesses.
Using this information, ThreatMetrix creates a unique digital identity for each user by analyzing the myriad connections between devices, locations, and anonymized personal information. Behavior that deviates from this trusted digital identity can be accurately identified in real time, alerting the company to players who may be using stolen identity data, obfuscating their location or spoofing a device to go undetected.
Key Features of the ThreatMetrix Solution
- ThreatMetrix SmartID identifies returning users that wipe cookies, use private browsing, and change other parameters to bypass traditional device fingerprinting tools. SmartID improves returning user detection and reduces false positives. Derived from the analysis of many browsers, plug-in, and TCP/IP connection attributes, SmartID generates a confidence score that detects multiple fraudulent account registrations or log in attempts.
- Deep connection analysis technologies give the company a clearer view of suspicious events. Players attempting to place a wager from a restricted location may attempt to hide behind location and identity cloaking services such as hidden proxies, VPNs and the TOR browser. With Proxy piercing technology, ThreatMetrix examines TCP / IP packet header information to expose both the Proxy IP address and True IP address. These techniques help the company comply with gambling regulations to block play from restricted locations.
- ThreatMetrix Trust Tags are digital labels that enable businesses to define, categorize, tag and differentiate between good and bad users, devices, locations or personas. Trust can be associated dynamically with any combination of online attributes such as devices, email addresses, card numbers or any other attributes involved in accepting, rejecting or reviewing a transaction.
- ThreatMetrix ID helps businesses go beyond simple device identification by connecting the dots between the myriad pieces of information a user creates as they transact online and looking at the relationships between these pieces of information at a global level and across channels/touchpoints. ThreatMetrix ID comprises a unique digital identifier, a confidence score and a visualization graph for each connecting user, which together act as a benchmark for the trustworthiness of current and future transactions.